Student News Site of Paradise Valley High School

The Importance of Attending Games

January 16, 2019

There’s a certain feel in the air on game day, a tension activated in part by the competitive spirit of the PV players and the adrenaline of competition. Everyone’s on edge as the clock ticks down and the teams do their final stretches and preparations, but there’s only one thing that would set off the game to a whole new level of excitement.

A crowd.

“Personally, playing sports myself, when I see a big crowd supporting me, it helps. We appreciate it a lot,” Isaac Hernandez, a senior on Varsity Soccer, said at the Girls Basketball game vs. South Mountain. The crowd is an essential part of keeping the player’s energy up and maintaining the spirit of the game. He also talked about that while the game is fun to watch,”…supporting the people that you know, even if you don’t play the sport, is fun.”

This testimonial is one of the reasons that all PVHS students should attend games of all kinds of sports. This winter, PVHS has many sports competing against schools from all over Arizona, from the wrestling team to the soccer team, and with Spring season coming up, students have even more opportunities to support the school’s many teams.

“Just to show pride in our school,” sophomore, Selina Villa, says on the importance of coming to games.

Another student, sophomore Foday Kromah, says that the reason coming to games is important to him is that, “It brings people together and develops a connection to the school.” Every student who attends a game is able to socialize with friends outside of an academic setting or to feel as if you are part of a greater purpose: to cheer on the school. The crowd is often described quite simply by the students who attend.

“I like the fans who come,” band member, Clara McLaughlin, stated, ”They get really excited.”

Coming to games, whether it be a wrestling match or a basketball game, is an excellent way of showing school spirit and being part of something bigger. The hype, excitement, plays, energy, and school pride is unparalleled and unlike any other experience that a student could have at PV. Crowds sway games and in doing so create a simple relationship with the PV teams. They shout and cheer, the teams play better and harder, and everyone benefits.

The Trojan Wall • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in