Use your Voice for Good

Nicole Willis

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter.”  These words were spoken by Martin Luther King Jr. during one of his sermons in Selma, Alabama.  Dr. King is remembered for his vital role in the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960’s. Without his famous protests like the Montgomery Bus Boycott and March on Washington, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and 1967 may have never come into existence.  His resilience and the resilience of those who supported his agenda are the causes of social progression within the United States. The state of America is better than it was sixty years ago, but there is still room for improvement.

In a world where an estimated 3.2 billion people have access to the internet, there’s a plethora of opinions to be heard.  Some great, others good, many bad, and countless awful. It’s important to look at Dr.King’s accomplishments and acknowledge how he used his influence to improve the lives of people of color.  In a world where everyone can be heard, it’s important to remember that our voices should be used spread positivity and rally for change that benefits the marginalized groups on Earth. In the words of Martin Luther King Jr, “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”