Fall Break Has FALLen Upon Students, Although Some Want a Longer LEAF

Ethan Livshits, Journalist

Planning has already begun on the next fall break after the last one, which was controversial due to the placement of the recess which was only three days out of the five day school week.

Administration’s reasoning is that the ratio of school days to break days needs to be proportionate. This begs the question however: Why doesn’t school start two days earlier? One student, Elise Dinyes, states her opinion on the topic.

“I think fall break is long enough, as it gives time to catch up on work while still being a break. For me, it is not convenient because my siblings goes to other schools which do not have the same break schedule.”

Elise continued.

“I think the break should be a whole week because it makes it more balanced and we could be assigned homework on Friday and have a whole week to do it instead of two days. I would like fall break to land on Thanksgiving so we have more time for family. I do not think it has to fall on Halloween, however I am not outright opposed to it.”

Staff member Jacqueline Setton has an interesting perspective.

“The fall break was discussed by faculty members in a positive way.  Everyone was looking forward to a few days off. Personally, I thought the placement of the break was terrific because it coincided with the Jewish holidays, and I was able to participate without having to take any personal days off. I liked the placement of the break, but it might have been nicer to have them in October, after we had been in school a bit longer.”

Jennifer Young, an English teacher at PV, agrees with Ms. Setton:

“The fall break calendar is determined by a district committee. I think the placement works well with the holidays. If I could make the schedule, I would put the break at the end of the quarter, but I understand why it is earlier to coincide with the holidays. It would be fantastic if we had a whole week!”

Other students from different districts have different break times. One student from Scottsdale Preparatory Academy, Ryan Cobourn, has different thoughts on the subject.

He stated, “Yes, I believe fall break is long enough. Too long of a break and students can start to have some of the newly taught material start to become fuzzy which can set back a class academically. I have no problem with when fall break falls at the moment. I don’t believe it needs to be centered around any holiday because I think allowing the break to be more about relaxing and stress-relief makes students more productive in the long run. Although I haven’t had my fall break yet, I plan on relaxing, playing with my dogs, going to see a movie or some entertainment and maybe taking a short trip.”

It seems like students have an agreement that the break is placed incorrectly. Many factors come into play such as weather and holidays, but most say the break should occur later in the year.

Finally, a freshman, Natalie Granberg, generally agrees with other students about the break.

“It’s an ok” length. I never understood why we still had to go to school on Monday and Tuesday though. If you needed those days why not take it from a break that starts on Thursday or something. I think for being in Phoenix, it’s a little early, considering most of the time it can be still scorching in September.”

Overall, although students have different thoughts on the fall break, the key ideas about it stay the same. Many students want a longer break, with Monday and Tuesday off. They also wish that the break FALLS at a convenient time for them. Although a large amount of students are STUMPED on the subject, many agree it shouldn’t occur during SepTIMBER. For more articles, stay tuned to The Trojan Wall.