Kneeling in Football Should be Irrelevant to Americans

Adam Price, Journalist

US citizens need to change their focus from the kneeling in the National Football League (NFL) during the National Anthem to the devastation that the US territory of Puerto Rico has encountered.

Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico just over one week ago and the country’s focus has already adjusted.   

Puerto Rico has been destroyed by Hurricane Maria, which was the most recent of the sporadic hurricanes that have been around the United States. Maria was a category four hurricane, which consists of 131 to 155 miles per hour winds.

According to CNN, 97% of the island has no power and half the population has no clean water. That’s roughly 3,298,000 people without power and 1.7 million people without clean water. CNN also said that the total cost of rebuilding in the territory would cost anywhere from 30 to 35 billion dollars in damages. Power lines have been ripped apart and thrown down by the wild winds.

The source of the action of kneeling during the Anthem was an ex-quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick, who is not signed to a team as of the beginning of the 2017-18 season, originally started sitting on the bench during the Anthem. He then switched to kneeling because he wanted to create an iconic pose. He started kneeling to protest against the racial inequality all throughout America. This all happened roughly a year ago and was reignited by teams staying in their locker rooms. The players and owners alike have relaxed with said kneeling.

According to President Trump, supplies have been slow to reach the island because, “The island is sitting in the middle of an ocean. And it’s a big ocean; a very big ocean.” This is an outrageous excuse for not quickly sending the much needed supplies out to the hundreds of thousands people whose lives have been flipped 180 degrees because of the demolition of Hurricane Maria.

President Trump has tweeted out as well, commenting that “Puerto Rico, which was already suffering from broken infrastructure & massive debt, is in deep trouble.” On top of his slow response and his outlandish tweets, Trump has not dealt with this situation in the best way possible.   

A bunch of overpaid football players kneeling during the National Anthem should not be centerpoint of the 5 o’clock news on the television. The media, including our President, should be more focused on the ongoing relief effort that is going on in Puerto Rico, as well as the relief effort in Houston, Texas. We are too busy worrying about NFL kneeling that does not directly hurt anyone in any way, shape, or form, instead of seeing to the horrible devastation in Puerto Rico. Society must be more sympathetic towards the people of Puerto Rico.