Student Parking Passes are Outrageously Priced

Kiara Yarbrough, Journalist

Here at Paradise Valley High School (PVHS), any student who wants to drive to school must pay to park at the school. Many of the students who attend PVHS, and have to drive themselves to school, may find the parking passes to be ridiculously priced. After a few PVHS students conversed over their thoughts on the price, many others agree that the passes should be cheaper.

Analeah LizarragaRoth, a Senior at PVHS said, “Parking passes should be only $10 a quarter rather than $25, because not everyone who drives can afford that. I also believe that if we as students have to pay to park at school, teachers should also have to pay.”

A few students believe that if students are required to pay to park at a school, then it is only fair if the teachers have to pay to park as well. Students do not believe that is is fair that they must pay $100 for a piece of paper to hang in their car, while teachers are just handed them for free.

Analeah and Kenzie Jones, both Seniors at PVHS,believe in having the staff pay for parking. Although, there are other students who do not give recognition towards the fact that teachers don’t pay, they just want the prices on the parking passes lowered.

Tanner Campbell, another PVHS student who drives to school thinks that the parking passes should be free for everyone: “Anyone who is required to go to school for whatever reason, should not have to pay just to park your vehicle there for five or six hours, and it definitely should not be as expensive as $100. Most teenagers can’t afford that, and then maybe their parent’s can’t even pay for it, so when it comes to that point students are just going to put all the blame on the price of the parking passes”.

Kyle Workman, a Senior stated, “I also think that parking passes should be $10 a quarter instead of $25. I do not agree with the passes being free though, because our vehicles are protected under the solar panels”.

The Senior also added that if majority of the driving students can not afford parking passes than they should be lowered, because if the students did not buy a parking pass, it is going to lead to the student missing a lot of school, which than leads back to the fact that kids can start blaming the high price of parking passes.

There are very few high school students that can afford to buy the parking pass themselves, and the percentage is a little bit more when it comes to students parents’ buying it for them. The highest percentage drops into poverty, and how most teens can not afford to purchase a parking pass for $25 a quarter, or $50 dollars a semester.

“Poverty is a reality for many adolescents in the United States. In 2014, almost one in five adolescents (18 percent) were living in families with incomes below the federal poverty line”.

The majority of PVHS students believe that the parking pass price should be dropped down to at least $10 a quarter, or $20 a semester, which is much more reasonable price for students.