PV Students not Using the Crosswalk

Kiara Yarbrough, Journalist

Half of the population of Paradise Valley High School walks to school and it is starting to become dangerous. Peyton Haack is one of the many students who walks to school and she crosses the street at the crosswalk right before Walgreens on 40th street. Peyton states that she always presses the button that let’s the cars know she is walking across the street.

“Yes, I always press the button to cross the street. It is just stupid when other kids just walk across the street without hitting the button or even looking to see if it’s clear to go!”

Peyton was then asked how many kids she sees push the button versus those who don’t since she walks to school every morning.

She then stated that the ratios are pretty even, “When I see other students cross the street, it is about half and half. Some of them press the button, but too many of them just walk across the street as if the button doesn’t even exist.”

Tyler Agan, another PV student was then asked a few questions about the always prominent issue of the students not pressing the button to cross the street. Tyler is a senior who drives to school every day. He stated that he has never witnessed a student almost get hit because of not pushing the button, but he says that it is an issue.

“No I haven’t ever seen a serious accident happen over the fact that the kids don’t hit the button, but it is a serious problem. It is very dangerous and scary whenever I see someone just cross the street without pushing the button.”

Tyler and Peyton both find the situation of the students walking across the street without pressing the button is a very serious problem that should be fixed as quickly as possible.

According to a report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 63 percent of pedestrians were killed by jaywalking or using the crosswalk incorrectly.

In 2006, 1,768 pedestrians died on a road or at an intersection where a crosswalk was not provided.

That same year, another 1,451 pedestrians were killed on roads where there was a crosswalk, but it was not being used or utilized correctly.

The school should start being more involved in making sure the students are crossing the street safely and using the cross walk correctly to insure that our fellow PV students stay safe.