JAG Providing Supplies for Hurricane Harvey Victims

Madeline Muller, Journalist

Jobs for Arizona Graduates (JAG) students at Paradise Valley High School have formed a collection of necessities for those affected by Hurricane Harvey.

They are asking for sanitary products, cutlery kits, and non-perishable foods to be donated by all PVHS students to ship to Houston to help out. The collections are being formed-so far-in the media center and in the JAG room, room 126, but the JAG team hoped the trend will spread to other clubs, in order to promote the donations more.

“I mean, how can you not help out?” Eduardo Martinez, a senior, stated,”Their homes and houses have been destroyed and they have it much worse than those in [Arizona.]”

The Hurricane, according to Fortune.com, has cost just two counties $23 billion worth of property alone, but this only includes the market value of the land and buildings on it. It does not include the mass of personal items within the house. Newsweek estimates that the entire storm’s price will be around $180 billion.

“Our lives are pretty easy, so why not help out?” Joseph Caballero, a senior, stated.

Joseph and the JAG Group are holding the donation with support from UPS-who will ship the packages to Houston. They hope to get several sponsors for the drive including Penske, Parson’s, Harley Davidson, and more who will help spread their message for donations to a wider audience and make the process easier. However, the deciding factor in whether the drive will be a big success or failure will be the student population.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency says that 325,000 Texans have applied for aid already, giving out a total sum of 57 million to those in need to help rebuild.

“We have over 1,700 kids here, so if everyone helped out, we could make a real difference not just here, but in our nation, in our world,” Corbin Overton, another senior, said.

Donating necessities for daily living will greatly help those living in emergency conditions, the JAG students stated. In flood areas, the amount of items ruined includes necessary sanitary devices, blankets, and ruined food in pantries of those affected. Having these supplies sent to them would be a great help to those just trying to put their lives back together. JAG students hope to get other clubs in a sort of “competition” to see who can collect the most supplies for the Houston Fund. There might be a prize for the club who collects the most supplies, but that is still up in the air.

The JAG students will not be collecting cash, as they would prefer things that the people could use immediately.

All students should donate in order to make a difference, JAG stated.

Overall, the JAG Donation Drive is a way for PVHS students concerned about the victims to help out in a way that will automatically make a difference. It also will provide relief for areas whose supplies are all but gone or just receiving them. All students should donate in order to make a difference, JAG stated.