Dress Code Debate at PV

Alex Monroe, Journalist

Students and faculty are divided with their views on the dress code. Many students are frustrated about the constraints on how they can express themselves, but faculty argue they are being completely reasonable.

Ms. Rush, who is in charge of the dress code, says that “With trends comes different types of clothing; shorter/longer/profanity, so I think it’s good to have the dress code be consistent and enforced so the rules are there for kids. I’ve seen some profanity and some questionable images so I think It’s great to have that in place so people don’t take advantage.”

Mr. Deonise agrees that the dress code is mainly in place because PV doesn’t want anything that is too revealing or offensive, as it might be too distracting and cause trouble.

“We try to be reasonable,” stated Principal Deonise, “The intent is not to stifle students’ creativity.”

Though faculty believe they’re being fair, students still feel like there is too much restraint on what they wear.

Sophomore Ember Mancera said, “The dress code should be removed to some standards. I understand that you shouldn’t wear some things, but half of the things that are on the dress code makes no sense. Crop tops and spaghetti straps aren’t going to hurt anyone. It’s just a shirt, it’s not too revealing and it’s not like everyone is going to be looking at your shoulders/stomach.”

Nick Forester, a Junior here at PV, agreed;

“I think the dress code should be removed to a certain degree, I mean obviously you need a dress code so people don’t show up unprofessionally because this is kind of our job, but the whole spaghetti strap thing is kind of ridiculous”

The issue had also stirred up debate on how equal the dress coding system is.

“I don’t think the dress code is equally enforced,” Lucia Haten, a senior, says. “It depends on who it is. Some people getting dress coded and not others. If everyone followed the same dress code then it be reasonable, but it isn’t.”

She also adds, “Guys aren’t dresscoded at all at this school.”

“It’s definitely a lot more heavily enforced for girls than it is for guys,” Nick Forester adds.
Ms. Rush had her own views on this.“I wouldn’t say the dresscode is more focused on girls. I’ve had just as many guys come in as girls,” though the teacher made it clear guys come in for different reasons.

So though people had varying opinions, all seven people agreed that there should be a dress code in place, and that no further restrictions should be put on the dress code.