Students Taken Advantage of at Places of Work

Kiara Yarbrough, Journalist

Peyton Haack comes to school most days looking and feeling very tired. She works at Raising Cane’s, a fast food restaurant, and says that she normally works about three to four days a week, and she often works until about 2:30 a.m.

Peyton states, “ Yes, I’ll go to school really tired and end up taking naps in class”. Working until 2:00 a.m. is affecting her sleeping schedule and grades, because she results to taking naps in class.

Kyle Workman, a senior at PV, works but never seems too tired or stressed out when he arrives at school.

“I work at Cambridge Cleaners, and I always work five days a week”, Kyle stated.

He  frequently works from 1:00 p.m. until about 7:00 p.m., and when asked if it affects his school schedule at all he surprisingly said it did!

“If I have to do lots of work outside class it makes it harder to balance work with my job which can lead to sleep loss”.

An anonymous student that works at the Arizona Republic Newspaper. “ I work from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m., seven days a week”.

Others were tremendously amazed when they had said that, because that is highly unheard of for a teenager. The hardworking student stated

“ It normally doesn’t affect my schooling, because I have a sleep schedule set up where I still get the rest I need. No it does not affect my grades. It only affects my personal life because I miss out on things that happen at night because I need to sleep”.

Junior, Skylar Revell, says that she works in the food business at Nick’s Italian Restaurant, and she too works five days a week. When asked how late she works, she said until about 10:00 p.m.

Skylar then stated that working long hours most of the week was affecting her school life, “ Yes, it’s hard for me to get my homework done, because I don’t have a lot of time with still wanting to get to bed early”.

One in four high school students have a job according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and 22.7 percent of them work more than twenty hours a week, says the U.S. Census.

Many high school students believe that having a job is necessary, whether it is to pay for bills, and car insurance, or if it is to just have the extra spending money. Once a student manages time effectively, having a job and going to school will become an enjoyable experience.