Little Trojans Jump at the Chance to Learn from PVHS Teams

Volleyball Campers Complete Drills That Will Help Them Increase Their Skill

Madeline Muller, Journalist

A group of elementary school girls entered the main gym excited to attain valuable Volleyball skills from PV players.

“It’s my third year of volleyball this year,”said 4th grader Casey, peppering- a volleyball term for passing, setting, then hitting the ball- with a coach.

Some girls, like Casey, already had experience with volleyball and were there to sharpen their skills. They learned a lot more about the intricacies of Volleyball, like how to pass a ball lower or higher and how to position their platforms for that. Some of the younger girls even got to play with the older girls because they did so well. However, all of the more experienced girls did learn something new about volleyball. Coaches worked with them to improve and develop their skills.

“I haven’t ever done it before,” Trinity said, representing the other half of girls who had never played before.

The camp also catered to these girls, by teaching the basics. To do this, the coaches started with drills on the floor, making sure the girls learned how to properly contact the ball, and then moved onto drills such as Butterfly, Wave, and Columbus. This ensured that the campers were adequately skilled before the girls practiced in drill form, letting them gain confidence without boredom. This allowed all the attendees to practice in age groups and not skill arrangements.

“I play on my sister’s team. We’re called Storm. And we win a lot,”smiled London as she joined the older group.

She was a fourth grader playing with the fifth through eighth graders. Her passes elicited a cheer from the coaches, who were working the line with others. It worked like a well-oiled machine: one coach tossed, the other caught, and the rest cheered as the girls worked on their skills. It made for a productive five hour practice. During this time, every camper learned the basics of passing, setting, serving, and hitting.

All Paradise Valley High School teams taught one skill during the camp, showing all sides of the Paradise Valley High School volleyball squads.

JV taught serving, a necessary skill to get the play started and a great way to win points. They showed the campers how to contact: first on the floor, then on the wall, and finally over the net. The Freshman team set up a demonstration on setting, following the same example as the JV program did. After that, a pair of Varsity seniors showed off their passing skills to the campers, complementing the future drills they would do. All of this combined into the hitting drills, where the main coaches all taught the approach and the hit.

There was about one girl to each coach. This allowed the girls to receive the individual attention needed to succeed and grow in an environment that nurtured their skills. It also made the coaches able to focus on one girl and increase their ability to teach. The personal connections made the girls more connected to the sport.

All in all, the day was a successful teaching moment in which all the girls learned about volleyball.