Trojan Athletes Speak Out!

Christian Finical, Journalist

Paradise Valley athletes strongly suggest that their practice times should start right after school. The athletes think practice is too early in the day, and argue that they do not have enough time to sleep, do homework, work, and hang out with friends.

Defensive end Kyler Erickson has his own thoughts on the practice times for the varsity football team.

According to Kyler Erickson, “ I personally prefer practice to be earlier in the day. I am not extremely pleased with the fact the practices are later in the day after school.”  

Athletes are also affected outside of school because of their interfering practice schedule.

Kyler said that, “ I don’t have much time to do anything outside of school on weekdays because I have committed to my football team, but I am able to have social functions on the weekend.”

Along with Kyler’s thoughts Grace Gin, Maddie Muller, Paul Martin, and Sam Newman had thoughts of their own about their practice times.

Similar to what Kyler thought, Junior Varsity volleyball player, Maddie Muller, liked the idea of earlier practices in the afternoon.

Maddie thought that, “Practice in the early afternoon allows me to do homework after practice.”

Grace Gin, an outside hitter for the Junior Varsity volleyball team stated, “ I prefer practice to be from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. because earlier practice allows me to be more flexible with my homework.”

Grace, who is affected by her schedule outside of school, stated, “ Sometimes my conditioning practice on the weekend interferes with hanging out with friends.”

Paul Martin, a Paradise Valley High School cross country athlete had different thoughts about when his practice should be.

Paul stated, “ I prefer practice to be later in the day from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. because when practice is earlier in the day it is too hot and it is easy to get dehydrated.”

The last interviewee was Samantha Newman who is pursuing cheer at the school.

Samantha Newman stated, “ I prefer practice to be right after school because it saves more gas money for my parents, and I do not have to rush from one place to another.”  

Samantha also mentioned, “ My practice time does not usually cut into any social functions with my friends outside of school.”

From a scientific standpoint, according to schoolstarttime.org, diminished sleep leads to a decline in athletic and academic performance. Therefore, getting the right amount of sleep is associated with an improved athletic and academic performance. For a successful performance, athletes should aim for eight to ten hours of sleep a night.

In general, most of these athletes prefer practice to be earlier, as in right after school. All of the athletes agreed it would be better to have practice earlier, with the exception of one who prefers having it later due to the climate here in Arizona.