A Piece of Advice

Suzana Cadena, Blogger

If you are a student at Paradise Valley High School (PVHS) you know that this school’s motto is PRIDE. Along with PRIDE PVHS also teaches to have a growth mindset and set goals. Most PV students tuned out goal setting and PRIDE, because they simply did not care enough to learn it. You may think setting goals is irrelevant, but it might actually be the most relevant thing to make life easier.

Life is like a game, there are rules to play by and a goal to reach. Let’s say goals are the rules you play by and accomplishing those goals are how you “win” in life. A goal could be long term or even a simple goal that you want to finish by the end of the month.

Think about what goal you want to reach; whether it’s losing weight, learning how to cook or becoming a dancer. Anyone can say what goal they want in life, but not everyone goes through the steps to actually reach that goal. For example, if losing weight is one of your goals then plan out what you’re going to do to reach it. For instance, plan when you are going to go to the gym and plan out meals to eat healthier. You can also change other routines like taking the stairs instead of the elevator as a healthy alternative. It is alo important to make time for your goals. Instead of watching another episode of your favorite TV show replace that with a 20 min workout. Another healthy choice is to drink a lot of water throughout your day. However, the most important thing is to make sure you are always striving to accomplish your goals.

Reaching your goal will make life easier because it helps you get to where you want to be and what you want to get done. A goal could even be school related. For example, you want to pass a class. What are the steps you are going to take to reach it? Think of the steps that you can take to reach it and take those steps. Do not give up on yourself and make excuses, push yourself to become better.

For a personal example, one of my goals was going hiking more often. I felt as if I spent most of my time going to school and working, never having the time to go for a hike. Another goal was doing my best in dance to make my last dance show memorable. I thought about what steps I could do for myself to reach those goals and I pushed myself to accomplish them.

Getting to your goals might feel as if it’s taking forever, but think of it this way, the more time you spend on reaching your goals the closer you will get to it. Every day you are one step closer then you were the day before, so be patient, work hard, and most importantly stay focused on your goals and you will be successful.