The Deceptive Fiesta

Victoria Hernandez, Journalist

18 August 2017 10:32 AM MST

Paradise Valley High School held their annual Freshman Fiesta last Friday after school. Many freshman showed up to the first event of the year, yet others were uncertain about attending.

However, Jackie Razo, a freshman here at Paradise Valley, had a few things to say about her experience at her first Freshman Fiesta.

“I was disappointed that there was no food when we were told there was going to be,” Jackie admitted.

Some aspects of the Fiesta reached the expectations that were advertised, while others didn’t. For example, advertisements for the gathering stated that their would be snacks and drinks for the attending freshmen. The freshman who attended discovered there was no food offered at the gathering.

“The only reason I came was for the food,” stated an angry Madeline Muller.

Seats were also present in the lunchroom, but not available for use due to restrictions implemented by security, according to insiders who gossiped about the school gathering the Monday after.

“We had to stand the whole time.” Jackie and another student complained.

The fiesta had many options of games, but most were crowded, making it difficult to participate in any.

“There were games, but I didn’t play any because they were too crowded.” Jackie states.

“Most of them looked fun, but the lines overwhelmed me.”

Even though there were a few cons, the pros made it worthwhile to attend the Freshman Fiesta. The Link Crew made sure the freshmen felt comfortable and welcomed. They also encouraged the students to get involved with new people and different activities.

“Our sole purpose was to go over to the people who were alone and off to the side and get them to interact with other people and out on the dance floor.” A Link Crew member, Lainey Griffith, stated about what her job consisted of at the Freshman Fiesta.

The Freshman Fiesta might have not made the expectations of the fiesta concept, but the whole idea of gathering new people to meet into one room was quite successful.

“Talking with my friends and catching up with them was my favorite part,” Jackie stated.

There were plenty of opportunities to meet new people, and get acquainted with a new school environment.  

Everyone who had a part of making the Freshman Fiesta authentic might have not been so accurate with the word fiesta, but it’s the thought that counts. There is always room for improvement next year.

It is important for all freshman to remember to always try something new, even if you think it’s  not for you!