What I Wish I Would’ve Known

Advice from the Class of 2017

The Class of 2017 only has a semester left until they can finally say they made it

Sarah McCoy

Sarah McCoy, Author

This year’s senior class only has a semester left of high school. Over the past three and a half years, the seniors have learned a couple of hacks to make high school more bearable. A few of them have shared their advice of how to survive high school.

Senior Emily Pennell-Templeton’s advice was honors classes aren’t always the way to go. “Sometimes it’s easier and safer to just take the regular classes. It’s better to get get an A in a regular class than a B in a honors class because colleges look at your unweighted GPA”, Emily explained.

Another senior, Alyssa Valley, had the advice of don’t burn yourself out in the first two years. She went on to say, “You try really hard and put everything you have into all of your classes and then junior year comes around and it’s harder and you are slowly losing yourself because of how hard you worked in the first two years and then senior year comes and you just don’t want to do anything.” In high school, it’s important to stay motivated  all four years.

Bradyen Tavrytzky, student body president and varsity athlete, suggests getting involved with the school. Brady said, “Go to games and go to dances, that’s where I’ve met some of my best friends.” Brady continued to say, “You want to look back and see how much you did.”

Many seniors gave the advice to not slack off during freshman and sophomore year. Classes are usually easier during the first two years and it’s important to take advantage of it. It’s hard to bring up a low GPA.

The seniors will soon be leaving and learning how to survive college. Over the past three and a half years, they have learned the ropes of high school. They will now use what they learned in high school in their new adventure called college.