Badminton Causing A Racket

Another Win for PV

After the match and an epic victory

After the match and an epic victory

Lauren Ruiz

Lauren Ruiz

After the match and an epic victory

Lauren Ruiz, Editor

Paradise Valley girls badminton won their matches against the Marcos De Niza Padres.

On Thursday, September 8th PV girls badminton gave it their all and defeated their opponents.  The coach, Ms. Murphy, has high hopes for the season as it continues stating, “Last year…they only won two matches, and…we’ve already exceeded that”.  She remarked, “This is my first year” as the coach and the team has already seen large improvements whether due to the coach, players, or both.  The captains are Junior Ramya Rameshkumar and Sophomore Andrea Villalobos.

In a badminton game, both varsity and JV play six singles games.  After those sets are finished, they play doubles and it is best two out of three.  After they have reported their scores to the coach,  each set is written down and the winners are determined later.

This year many of the players are sophomores and juniors who have improved greatly from their first and second years.  As far as the team goes, Ms. Murphy notes, “These are a bunch of impressive girls.  They work really hard”.  

“I think we’re going to do really well.  I think we’re going to get mainly wins this season”, commented Villalobos.  Sophomore Esha Manage too has confidence in their team saying, “I think we’re going to do really well.  I think we’re going to get mainly wins this season”.

Also, some of the girls noted conduct plays a large role in the game.  Junior Shanielle Rose stated, “One of the main things besides skill that they teach us is sportsmanship and always shaking their hand after and smiling”.  She then continued,  “You always want to come across if you lose as a good sport”.  Manage agreed, “In a game like badminton everybody’s really focused on hitting the bird to the other side and if we were to be mad, I don’t think it would help as much.  I think…being calm is an important aspect to the game which helps them focus…it’s key in winning”.  The girls enjoy the game and Villalobos further states, “Most of the schools are really nice…it’s a friendly competition”.  This attitude may have influenced the wins the team is already experiencing.

In the future Manage said, “we just need to perfect our drills a little bit more and I think we could be a lot better” but that they have “really bonded as a team” and have been “working really hard at practice”.

Hopefully the badminton team will continue their winning streak and spreading PV PRIDE to other schools with their hospitality.