PVHS Greenhouse

Where Dreams Go To Die

Zachary Amlin, Author

Revitalising the greenhouse is becoming a priority at Paradise Valley High School. Over the last few years the greenhouse has been used randomly, but that is starting to change. Students in Mr. Johnson’s physics class go to the greenhouse and clean it up so they can grow their own herb plants for a semester. However after the semester it isn’t maintained and the plants die out.  Jeffry Stiles has stated, “Mr. Vance is currently working on fixing it to have it up and running for his environmental chemistry class”.

The science department put in the greenhouse in the late 1990s. After the original teacher left, the greenhouse never got the same care. Now the agriscience program no longer exists. Patricia Nadzieja said “I know the Ag Science used to grow plants and fish in there.” PVHS could offer an agriscience program to teach students on the importance of agriculture. Rebecca MacGowan said, “It used to be absolutely beautiful!  The students in that program learned plant propagation and grew gorgeous plants that they sold for fundraisers.”

Newberg High School in Newberg, Oregon started a greenhouse that they use year-round. They get volunteers from the community so they can run the greenhouse. Through the greenhouse they grow plant varieties such as basil, mint, oregano, and parsley. The greenhouse allows them to give back to the community and for the community to support the school.

Gardening allows hands-on learning for students that not many other classes can offer. Growing a plant can also teach students the necessity of our natural resources. The school can sell herbs back to the community and start a fundraiser or the herbs can be used by culinary. Reestablishing the agriscience program will benefit both students and Paradise Valley High School.