The Origins of PV PRIDE

PRIDE: The Culture, The Program

PRIDE+stands+with+PV+and+influences+campus+life.+
PRIDE stands with PV and influences campus life.

Nicholas Sierka, Editor / Marketer

Paradise Valley High School’s (PVHS) PRIDE system is prevalent throughout the school. PRIDE is physically embodied with trashcan and wall wraps, posters, signs, etc. PRIDE is also embodied in the daily energy of the students; whether that energy is presented in the effort and success of the robotics club or in the representation all of the sport teams bring when competing. PV PRIDE is not something that goes unnoticed regardless of someones opinion on the PRIDE system.

Despite PRIDE’s prevalence, most students don’t know where it came from, how it came to PV, why it came to PV, how it’s evaluated, etc.

PRIDE is a program that was initially brought to PV to facilitate positive behavior and development at the school. It comes from an international organization that creates programs like PRIDE, the Positive Behavioral and Interventions Support (PBIS). But, in order to pay for every aspect of the program (i.e. pride guides, wall wraps, etc.), PV had to apply for funding through what’s known as an S3 grant. PV successfully acquired the grant from the Arizona Department of Education and the University of Arizona (U of A), more specifically, through UA Links, a program at the U of A for “professional development innovations”. According to Cori Araza, one of the head members of the PRIDE Committee, the program, along with the grant, was designed by PBIS to last for 5 years. After those 5 years have passed, the program has to sustain itself or shut down. PRIDE is currently sustaining itself and has lasted for more than 7 years.

According to Cori Araza, the implementation of PRIDE began around 2008. However, the PRIDE system was not put at the forefront of student and PV culture until Mr. Deonise became principal in 2013. The concept and culture of PRIDE was co-created by a combination of students and staff at PV. This was purposefully done in order to show that PRIDE is a joint effort between staff and students. To be clear, PBIS provided the basic foundation for the program (i.e. standards, evaluation, etc.) while the students and staff of Paradise Valley provided the PV aspect of PRIDE.

PRIDE is annually evaluated on the “number of suspensions for violent incidents”, the number of fights that occur, “incidents for attendance”, “incidents related to aggression”, and is given an overall “safety score”. Other variables are evaluated, but these are the main points. It was reported that there was a 45% reduction in the number of suspensions for violent incidents, a 58% decrease in the number of fights that occur, a 91% decrease in the number of attendance related incidents (i.e. tardies, absences, truancies), a 92% reduction in incidents related to aggression, and received an overall safety score of 85 out of 100 (Arizona Department of Education and UA Links).

PRIDE is not just a culture or some program implemented to satisfy some higher form of authority. PRIDE is here because it has been proven with concrete data that the environment of the school (safety, attendance, etc.) improves with it.