Doctor Strange Review

The newest Marvel movie falls short of its potential.

Doctor Strange explores many dimensions aside from our own.

Zachary Amlin, Author

On November 4th, 2016, Marvel released the much anticipated Doctor Strange to theatres all around the world. Doctor Strange follows an arrogant surgeon who gets in an accident and loses the ability to use his hands to be a surgeon. Doctor Strange undergoes many operations to try and fix his hands but none of them work until he hears of a man who came back from an impossible injury. Doctor Strange then goes to a fabled monk, “the Ancient one” so that she can fix his injury and get him back to his normal life. Every Marvel installment means new and exciting heights for the franchise. Does this one live up to the franchise? No, it doesn’t

First, I’m going to start with the things I enjoyed about the movie as there is not much to be happy about. Doctor Strange is the first movie in the Marvel cinematic universe to fully introduce and explore magic. The magic is pretty and almost breathtaking at times, adding a new element not even seen in DC movies. The CGI is also a plus from seeing buildings move side to side and even upside down, changing the layout of reality and making the fight scenes somewhat enjoyable. Benedict Cumberbatch looks the part of Doctor Strange and at times can even make you laugh. Rachel McAdams plays the love interest in the movie and is surprisingly funny. She is constantly wondering what is going on and eases some of the tension in more dramatic scenes where she can transition with ease. Some of the fight scenes are especially enjoyable. Starting in an ancient tomb and teleporting all the way to New York City, adding fresh air that hasn’t been used enough in previous installments.

Now I’m going to say everything that this movie did wrong. I’m a fan of witty jokes and this movie just obnoxiously overused jokes. They almost force it down your throat like “look we made a joke now laugh or we’re gonna keep making them!”. Also, the plot is the most atrocious plot of any Marvel movie. Making no changes and adding literally nothing new to the formula. It was the typical plot of the bad guy stole some device that can destroy the universe. The hero then gets into an accident and overnight decides to become a hero and save a world that he couldn’t care less about. Although some of the fight scenes were enjoyable, most of them fell flat with boring henchmen dying. When Doctor Strange finally meets to fight the bad guy it was a terrible fight scene that ultimately disappointed. This movie actually has another villain who in the comics is one of the most powerful villains and yet again, Marvel disappoints with a one-dimensional villain. Halfway through the movie, Doctor Strange learns how to use a device that turns back time. He only uses it when it wasn’t really necessary when he could have used it sooner so that the whole movie could have been avoided.

Yet again, Marvel has released another movie less exciting than the last and they completely missed out on an amazing opportunity to expand the Marvel universe. With a movie that can literally open up a universe Marvel managed to add nothing new and fresh sticking to the same old formula. This movie is just another build up for another sub par movie that will disappoint. Because of this movie I may never watch another Marvel movie until they decide they want to make something good. If I would rate this movie I would have to rate it a 5/10 and that’s being nice.