Holiday Traditions

How Students Spend the Holidays

A holiday tradition in Arizona. The worlds tallest Christmas tree at the Anthem outlets.

Sarah McCoy

Sarah McCoy, Author

Many students look forward to the holidays for a variety of reasons. Some like the break from school and others look forward to time with friends and family. Students at Paradise Valley celebrate different holidays such as Christmas and Hanukkah.

Senior Sydney Prinster’s family has many traditions. Every year they get a new Christmas tree ornament and chocolate advent calendars. Then on Christmas Eve they drive around and look at Christmas lights. “My favorite is going out and seeing all the Christmas lights. We’ve been doing it for as long as I can remember.” Sydney went on to say, “We always drive through Moon Valley and they have luminaries out on all the streets. We also go to this one house that has their lights programmed to music.”

Another senior, Emily Pennell, says every Christmas Eve they open one present. “Every year the one present we open are Christmas pajamas.” Emily said it’s something she, her mom, and her sister have been doing for a long time.

Junior Tristan Britt said his favorite thing about the holidays is the spirit. “Everybody has holiday spirit around this time. People are more generous and welcoming”. His family also has a tradition they do every year on Christmas Eve. “Every year we make cookies and leave them and milk for Santa. We also leave his reindeer carrots and cookies,” Tristan replied.

Senior Julia Lisk celebrates Hanukkah. “Hanukkah is an eight day celebration and it follows the lunar calendar so when it starts varies,” Julia stated. The Jewish holiday comes with lots of traditions like the lighting of the Menorah, a dreidel game, and making latkes. The dreidel is used in a game played by the children. Julia said almost every year her family makes potato pancakes known as latkes.

The holidays are fast approaching. Once school is out families can look forward to the traditions they have been doing for years.