President Elect: Good or Bad?

Are you Down for Donald?

Some groups consider Trump a disaster for America

John Sanders

John Sanders

John Sanders, Author

With this election cycle coming to an end after a tight year-and-a-half of campaigning for the presidency, the United States has finally made its choice. With the newly appointed President-elect being the republican nominee, Donald J. Trump, many questions arise regarding  the expectations and accomplishments of the Commander and Chief of the United States. Some individuals at PV have an opinion on the matter, and even more so, may have registered and in fact voted for the president elect Trump or his competitors. One such statement comes from Marcus Hall, a PV teacher and girl’s soccer coach.

The expectations for Trump and what he will accomplish as the president are in question for some. Mr. Hall states, “Not much will get done. He won’t be re-elected. I’m willing to give him a chance, but not holding my breath in anticipation of the ‘Donald’ becoming a great man”. There are some who think highly of the man due to his lack of involvement in politics, which puts him in the light as a non-establishment symbol. Some voters feel a lack of support from the establishment with prior presidencies. Others feel that this may be a detriment for the U.S., because of the minimal experience he has had beforehand; that political experience should be a requirement of being in charge of the country, and that him being elected may cause problems for the United States as a whole.

With this in mind, only time will tell how exactly the President-elect will perform. The policies he will administer are what will ultimately shape America for the next four or even eight years going forward. There are many in the U.S. who seem to be adamant towards a Trump presidency. For this to be a success for him and the country, he must win over the people without confidence in him and many are speculating for how he will accomplish this. Whether this is for better or for worse will be up to the American people, and more importantly, those that voted. For those that voted, there was much division on the matter During Trump’s victory speech, he addresses that by saying, “To all Republicans and Democrats and Independents across this nation, I say it is time for us to come together as one united people”. With this statement of his, the president may be on his way to winning over any dissidents in the country. This ultimately leads to one question, will Trump live up to his famed campaign slogan, “Make America Great Again”?