To Trump or Not To Trump

Are you Down with The Donald?

Every campaign has a slogan

Every campaign has a slogan

Every campaign has a slogan

Jaeden Dunbar, Author

The recent election has finally answered a question nearly every American had on their mind: who is going to be America’s next president? Recently, many American citizens have been up in arms over the election, or annoyed and disappointed at the outcome.People have been protesting and fighting back, feeling as if their voice was lost in the election, or that their votes never mattered. According to U.S.A. Today, eighteen year old student Stephen King at the University of Texas-Austin and Trump protestor commented, “I couldn’t sit down idly and just accept that this happened. I need to speak up for those who don’t have that privilege” (U.S.A. Today 2016).

People all over the nation are struck by a sense of anger and unease at the idea that Donald Trump is the president elect. Having no foreign policy or political experience, some Americans are nervous about how The White House will run for the next four years. However, the President of the United States does not hold all of the power. The House and The Senate, as well as the system of a democracy keeps America in a system of checks and balances. According to Statisticbrain.com, there was only a fifty-five point six voter turnout rate, showing that nearly half of Americans never voted for either candidate. Without the votes in the ballot, many of the people who are rioting choose to throw their vote in the trash. People often do not see any of the candidates as a suitable option, and they decide that not voting is the best option. Other times, people vote without fully understanding the candidate, and vote based on commercials or celebrity endorsements.

The solution is simple. Getting more people informed and voting for the right people who are fit to run the country could change the outlook on American politics. Voting is a way to get the American voice heard, and an statistically unused privilege as well.  The nation’s unity depends on the people of America coming together and voting for a candidate that many can agree on, rather than the few and far between.