The Deadliest Pair

Texting and driving at PVHS

Put the phone down

Put the phone down

Put the phone down

Jaeden Dunbar, Author

One of the deadliest distractions in American society is also one of the most commonly practiced, and the culprit is none other than texting and driving. According to Distraction.gov, the official United States government website for distracted driving, “In 2014, 3,179 people were killed, and 431,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers” (2016). With a cell phone in nearly every American hand, driving is made extremely dangerous as focus is often pulled from the road and on the phone itself. At Paradise Valley High School, the J.A.G program is trying to find a solution.

J.A.G, or Jobs for Arizona’s Graduates, focuses on a plethora of things. According to Karen Hernandez, “We do resumes, go to universities … We do everything to benefit our future.” For one week in November, J.A.G will be promoting awareness for texting and driving by putting up posters, and using multiple forms of media to show the dangerous effects of texting and driving. This is an epidemic that can easily be avoided with knowledge and patience, and the self respect of putting the phone down while driving. J.A.G hopes to show this concept by giving the knowledge to the hundreds of students that drive to and from school nearly every day. As well as this, J.A.G hopes  the students take this information beyond high school, taking it with them for the rest of their lives, and saving other lives in the process.

With so many dangerous things out in the world, texting and driving is one of the most easily avoidable. By turning off the phone or putting it in a safe place such as the glove box or the trunk, the driver is not only saving their own life, but the lives of other people as well. J.A.G understands that the life of a student is much more valuable than a few words sent over a cell phone. Over this week, they will be trying their best to get through to students and show the young drivers of this generation the importance of putting down the phone while driving.