Early Graduation

A Semester Off

Tassels to the left in December

Tassels to the left in December

Tassels to the left in December

Salma Desiderio, Author

Seniors at Paradise Valley have a choice to graduate a semester early.  

They also have the option of half days throughout the year. What can be better than graduating a semester early with half days? There are around 186 days in a school year and if a student is right on track with all their classes, senior year can be cut down to 90 days.

The ability to graduate a semester early has allowed senior Diana Lopez to start college early at PVCC. Diana reasons, “Why stay another semester, if you already have all of your credits?”.

Luis Guizar, another student in the process of graduating early, argues that, “Instead of those two months in the summer to prepare for college, I will have a whole semester”.

The downside to graduating a semester early is the lack of eligibility to play winter and spring sports. That is the main reason many students choose to not graduate a semester early. For instance, Diana’s decision to graduate early would have been changed if she was involved in softball. She states, “I really missed the opportunity to do softball. That is something I should’ve done since freshmen year”.

Though early graduates are considered visitors on campus after they’ve finished the semester, they are still able to attend prom and walk with the class on graduation day. Technically, early graduate students can still be a part of the school if they choose to.

While Paradise Valley has done an exceptional job in preparing students academically.

“You have the counselors guiding you to graduate on time, but you have to be the one making the effort to meet those requirements”, states senior Luis Guizar. He compares school work to a paying job when he says, “It’s the same thing with a job, at the end of the day you’re the one doing the work.”

Graduating a semester early seems to be convenient for the people who just want to get out or get ahead with their education. Whether students graduate a semester early or stay for the whole year,  the goal is to receive a high school diploma.