Confessions of a Binge Watcher

Devil’s Due

Sarah McCoy

John Sanders, Author

Marvel has had a stellar movie success breakout that started 8 years ago, and it makes sense that they’d expand into television. One of their first shows released, DareDevil, saw immense popularity, even getting a second season. DareDevil is a show about Matt Murdock, a young lawyer who is “blinded” at a young age due to a freak accident involving a chemical spill. However, there is a catch. Murdock gains super heightened senses from the waste, being able to hear the slightest of sounds from miles away. He lives in Hell’s Kitchen and runs a small law firm with his best friend since college, Foggy Nelson.

The two get introduced to the criminal underworld when their next case involves a woman who is found covered in blood next to a body. The women has no knowledge of what she has done. From that point, nothing else should be given away. What DareDevil does well is that there is an entertaining villain to match the hero counterpart. His name is Wilson Fisk, and as the primary antagonist of season 1, he is very memorable. From an overall grim backstory, and beautiful acting, there is a need for more of this man. Season 2 even ups the ante by adding another villain to DareDevil’s rogues gallery. This villain is The Punisher, who has another grim backstory, like Fisk, but amplifies it, making him a semi-relatable family man who you can sympathize with.

That’s one of this show’s greatest strengths. More often than not, side characters are dwarfed by the main protagonist, but with this show, the other characters match, if not succeed, Murdock as an intriguing alternative. The show has been out for over a year now, with both seasons available to watch. So there is a definite recommendation for watching season 1 in particular. While season 2 improves in fight scenes, The Punisher practically carries every scene he’s in. It doesn’t compare as well in terms of story and writing. Both are still great though, and to put it on the Netflix Watch List would be a great idea.