Confessions of a Binge Watcher

Trailer Park Boys

Sarah McCoy

Zachary Amlin, Author

On April of 2001, Season 1 of Trailer Park Boys was created as a Mockumentary comedy series centering around Canadian rednecks who live in Canada at a trailer park. We follow our main protagonists Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles as they go on adventures for money, drugs, cats, and model trains. They all live in a trailer park called SunnyVille that is run by Jim Lahey who is constantly trying to disrupt the plans of Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles.

When first watching the show I found it hard to get into it only because the humor in the show is very dry at times. The show wastes no time in being blunt about everything from swearing to drugs, guns, and criminal activities. I was able to get into the show after a few episodes, because I began to catch onto the run on jokes and the fun in seeing what real trailer park trash looks like. Ricky was easily my favorite character because he’s easily the dumbest one of all the characters but he believes that he’s one of the smartest ones.

Julian was my second favorite character because he always has a drink in his hands no matter what is happening. Bubbles was quite the surprise in the show because I couldn’t help but laugh everytime he tried to do something ridiculous for his cats or try to steal shopping carts.

One thing that I think the show lacks is episodes. The first 6 seasons only have about 8 episodes per season and it’s not till seasons 9 and 10 that they get 10 episodes. I think the show still needs more episodes to flush out the story. I also believe the show suffers from coming up with new stories for each season. It’s always about the protagonist trying to get money or trying to sell dope. Moreover, Jim Lahey always spoils their plans and they then end up in jail.

At the end of the day, I recommend this show to anyone who likes to laugh at the dumbness of other people, especially rednecks in a trailer park.