Blog for Thought

#FREETHEWHALES

Hmmmmm%3F
Hmmmmm?

Hmmmmm?

Salma Desiderio

Salma Desiderio

Hmmmmm?

Salma Desiderio, Author

Imagine being separated from home, the home that you were suppose to grow up in.

Imagine growing up to be taught what to do to please others while having limited space to move around in; held captive in such a desolate world as SeaWorld. This isn’t your life, but sadly, it’s a Killer Whale’s.

The Website SeaWorld of Hurt states that the lifespan of an orca in the wild is an average of 30-50+ years and in SeaWorld the average orca lives up to 13 years. How has SeaWorld failed to realize this depressing gap? Is a killer whale’s life below a human’s? Whales are sentient beings.  Orcas are not endangered, but they still contribute to the global ecosystem. According to the Whale and Dolphin Conservation, 150 Orcas have been captured from the wild since 1961 and about 127 of these are now dead. This does not include the whales that died in captivity and in failed whale pregnancies. A total of 23 Orcas currently reside at SeaWorld’s locations in the United States and at least 45 Orcas have died at Sea World.

Orcas have the ability to dive up to 1,000 feet and in the wild they are used to swimming 100 miles a day (SeaWorld of Hurt). However, SeaWorld states that they have built the proper amount of space for the Orcas to roam freely with SeaWorld Orlando’s 36 foot deep habitat holding about 6 million gallons. It is also important to acknowledge that most male killer whales at SeaWorld suffer from a rare condition called Collapsed Dorsal Fin (a sign of an unhealthy Orca) which is acquired by the Orcas from the small amount of space they are living in.

Killer whales are meant to live in the ocean where they can roam free, so why does SeaWorld keep them in a space that does not compare to the ocean? The 2013 documentary called Blackfish, which exposes the cruelty behind-the-scenes treatment of killer whales at SeaWorld, has been eye opening to many SeaWorld goers as their sales have been declining. According to SeaWorld, 2016 is the year that they will stop breeding killer whales. Animals are not meant for the entertainment business. People can learn about animals without having to exploiting them.