The Book Base

All Began in Middle School

And more to come

And more to come

Natalia Ortiz

Natalia Ortiz

And more to come

Natalia Ortiz, Writer

Reading is fun if you find a book that interests you. I was just like a lot of people and did not like books. I thought they were super long and boring, but once I started to find genres I liked, reading became my favorite thing. Find your genre and start reading.

When talking about reading books a lot of people ask, “You like to read?” or say “I don’t like to read!”. When I had to read I would just skim through it, but all that changed in seventh grade.

I started to like reading in middle school, all thanks to my seventh and eighth grade language art teacher Mrs. Saragosa. She had a lot of great books for teens that involve high school, relationships, mystery, adventure, etc. 

In middle school we still had to do AR. In Mrs. Saragosa’s class there was a deadline for when we had to be finished with the book and take a test. We also had to do entries on them  We would have to write down what we predicted, a summary from the pages you read from the night before and more.

At first I thought it was a lot to do and ended up not doing some of my entries. I would pick a small easy book so it would not take me long to read. Then I asked Mrs. Saragosa for help on finding a good book. She then picked a couple of books she thought I would like. Some of the books she picked looked interesting enough that I would want to read and others not so much. And that is where it all began: reading all the time, staying up late, and finishing the books in three days rather than in a week or more.

The only time I do not really like to read a book is when I have to read one for an english class. I don’t like to read when I’m forced to unless the book sounds interesting. Other than that I read a lot and read at least one book during the summer. I don’t only read because I enjoy it but because it helps me be a faster reader and expands my vocabulary. Also it allows me to relax and takes my mind off of things when I’m having a bad day.

Find a book that grasps your attention and give it a chance. Give reading a chance and you will see that you will enjoy it. It will help you in ways you did not know, it helped me in many ways.