Going Green

Why we need a working greenhouse.

Despite its name, the PVHS greenhouse is anything but.

Jaeden Dunbar

Jaeden Dunbar

Jaeden Dunbar, Author

Wasted space is prevalent all over Paradise Valley, with plenty of examples of rundown fields or unused spaces, one of which being the unused greenhouse. The abandoned greenhouse was “originally built for the Agricultural Science class to grow their own plants” according to Paradise Valley teacher Mr. Stiles. This space could be a critical part in our school’s funding or extracurricular activities as it has the potential to be used in many different ways. Culinary could use it to add more healthy alternatives to food items, and that building could be used to revitalize the Agriscience class.  

According to Phil Howardell “The greenhouse was in constant use while we still had a Agriculture program at PV.” This space was once used to its fullest potential, and now it’s collecting dust in the corner. Most freshman don’t know we have a greenhouse, and its wasted potential is a serious issue. When fields or buildings like the green house go unused, many students miss out on new experiences or learning moments. Living in the city means most of the students here will never plant or work with soil and animals. This greenhouse could give those experiences and more, however at the moment it’s sitting and collecting dust. However this is all subject to change. According to Mr. Stiles “Mr. Vance is currently working on fixing it to have it up and running for his Environmental Chemistry class”. This is a major step forward, considering it has been unused for some time now.

Re-institutionalizing the greenhouse can jump start many classes, programs and clubs at Paradise Valley. Students can get their hands in the soil, cultivating and growing bell peppers, lettuce, basil, and even more possibilities. With all of these new elements implemented in our schools, we could give fresh food to the homeless, giving them a chance to have a good meal. As well as that we could give fresh produce and fish to culinary, therefore adding variety to the meals they make. New produce would offer a healthy alternative to the highly produced foods culinary uses today.

The greenhouse already exists, it just needs a few improvements to make it fully functional. The positive effects it could have on the school is almost unlimited, and having students working with their hands in the soil is something our founding fathers have wanted since Thomas Jefferson. The importance of this greenhouse cannot continue to go unnoticed, and this should be the year that we, the staff and students of Paradise Valley, tap into the full potential of our abandoned greenhouse.