Cheer Is the Spirit

Practicing is the Key to Cheer

Varsity cheer team practicing for the next school game

Zaira Mucino

Zaira Mucino

Zaira Mucino, Author

Cheer has always been a program dedicated to spreading pride and enthusiasm in games and assemblies. Sports season is here which means cheer is ready to get everyone involved and get the school spirit going.

The varsity team tried out in the spring and JV in the second week of school. Tenli Poggemeyer, the cheer coach stated, “Out of everyone who tried out, only the people with the best spirit were able to be a part of the team.” Members have been defined by the enthusiasm they bring on the day of their tryouts and the attitude they show to their group members. They are chosen based on their talent, their voice, attitude, but most importantly, the spirit and pride they have for their school.

To the cheerleaders, it is very important that everyone has an amazing time being part of school games and that they are left with a long lasting experience each time students go to represent their school. “The girls practice very hard to make sure everything is done well. Practice is the key to everything,” stated Tenli Poggemeyer. According to coach Poggemeyer, many people do not consider cheer a sport or do not consider the members of cheer “athletic”. Coach Poggemeyer added, “If people went and actually went to the cheer competitions, they would understand how difficult cheer can actually be.”

The cheer team practices by running, doing push ups, curl ups, mostly anything that any other sport has to do in order to be in shape and be able to carry out what is needed to make any other sport more alive. In the school year 2015-2016, the varsity cheer team had an incident in one of the  school spirit assemblies where the cheerleaders were attempting to build a pyramid but failed and fell leaving everyone wondering what the issue was. Therefore, the team has confirmed that they have been working very hard in order to keep an incident like that from happening again.

As far as the the games that the cheer team has attended, whether they are home or away games, cheer has made sure they are prepared to cheer their school team on and bring the spirit to win. Now cheer is waiting for the next game to bring life into the field and make their cheer choreography successful.