STUGO: The Voice or The Echo?

Who is the voice behind STUGO?

April Alvarado

April Alvarado

Jaeden Dunbar, Author

Choices such as themes for school dances, activities, and assemblies, all fall into the hands of a lesser known part of the student class, STUGO. Paradise Valley’s Student Body Government (STUGO) has always been a force hidden in the shadows, quietly working behind the scenes. Important decisions such as how the assemblies play out, dance themes, and other fun school activities all depend on STUGO’s initiative.

However, who is the true voice of the campus? With STUGO operating behind the scenes, it makes it more difficult for them to fully voice the school’s opinion. When asked if STUGO is the voice of the campus, STUGO representative Hannah Bridger replied with “I [personally] run the twitter for the school, so technically I am the voice of the school”. With such a great amount of power, are we, the students, being represented as a whole?

Most of the lower classmen, freshmen and sophomores, don’t know what STUGO is, or what they do as a class. If most of the school lacks any kind of understanding of  what STUGO is, there is a huge gap that needs to be crossed to voice the opinions of the school.

Quoting freshman Amukya Bhaskara, “If I knew what they did, I would give a better answer on what they are”. Ignorance about the program stifles the student voice because no ones knows where to go to have their voice heard. Bethany Rider, a sophomore at P.V. commented “I don’t believe that STUGO can represent us… because they are so hidden”.

STUGO has the opportunity to make a huge difference in the school, and the opportunity is being wasted by the lack of a system for the students to voice their opinions. Freshmen, Hailey Wheeler, commented “STUGO should take our opinions and try to fix them.” The students of this school need to have their voices heard, and they want to be heard.

Luckily for us, STUGO and Brady Tavrytzky, our student body president, are willing to fight for us. Quoting our schools president, “If I did the research and know for a fact that it something is better for the school… I would fight for it.”

Right or wrong, STUGO is the standing voice of our school, and according to Hannah Bridger “[STUGO] is for the school and the students.” Although they work in the shadows, it is clear that they are still working with the students for the students.

STUGOVoicesApril Alvarado