Building Blocks For Success

How the block schedule helps students

Students taking a break during passing period.

Sarah McCoy

Sarah McCoy

Sarah McCoy, Author

One of the many things that sets Paradise Valley apart from other high schools is the block schedule. With longer classes, students and teachers can accomplish more each class period. Students can spend more time on each class having only four to focus on.

Paradise Valley is the only high school in the district that offers the block schedule. Other schools, like North Canyon or Horizon, have a more traditional schedule with six classes that last for about an hour. With this type of schedule, students are in the same classes all year round.

The block schedule Paradise Valley has is a four by-four schedule, meaning you take four classes but only for a semester. A student has four-classes everyday for 86 minutes. At the start of a new semester, the student will get four new classes.

Junior Zach Amlin went to a different school his freshman year that did not have a block schedule. When asked about the block schedule, Zach said, “I like the block schedule because you can earn more credits.” He also stated, “I have less classes and less work. I also get a lot more time to work on homework in class.” The only downside to the block schedule he saw was how long the classes are. However, he did say he got used to the class lengths after a while.

Senior Gabi Robbins moved to Arizona just before her junior year. Although, for her the transition was easier as her old school also had a block schedule set up. Talking about the block schedule, Gabi said,” I think it is a great set up because you can focus on four classes rather than seven or eight.” Another added bonus she pointed out was that there was more time to think instead of speeding through different topics.

PV alumni, Abdel Jimenez, is in in his third semester at Arizona State University. The block schedule prepared him for college because he earned college credit from dual enrollment and AP classes. He already has over 80 credits completed. When asked about how the block schedule helped him, Abdel said, “Block scheduling prepared me for college and really enhanced my learning at PV because I got to spend more time with my teachers.”

In the state of Arizona 22 credits are needed to graduate high school. At most high schools, you have the opportunity to graduate with 24 credits. At Paradise Valley, there is the opportunity to graduate with up to 32 credits. The block schedule gives the chance to take more electives and retake classes without having to give anything up.

Students taking a break during passing period

Sarah McCoy