It’s a Race

And We're All Winning

All together as PV Trojans!

All together as PV Trojans!

All together as PV Trojans!

Zaira Mucino and Desiree Guapilla

While some students at Paradise Valley High School may argue that differences can be an issue on certain occasions, the students at PV agree that it does not seem to affect their student lives on PV campus. When asked the question, “Do you feel represented by the school or do you feel like you are being turned away,” Diane Vargas, a freshman at PV High School, answered… “PV does not seem to treat students any differently based on racial differences or preferences”. The staff at PV high want their students to feel comfortable coming to school by being proud of who they are and to feel respected by everyone around them. The students don’t feel like they are being judged or discriminated.

In some cases, students tend to treat each other differently based on one’s appearance, or if a student has a disability. Fortunately, this does not seem to be an issue at PV High School. Could it be the PRIDE that the students have? While the majority of the PV population gave mostly positive answers and personal opinions, a Junior, Valerie Montoya stated, “What does need to happen at any school is that people should stop stereotyping others. There’s no reason for any of that”. Then why do students feel the need to stereotype their peers? Although what comes out of the mouth might be unintentional, the people around you can take what is said to a different level and just comes out in the moment. Even though the students at PV have different opinions about what they think about their peers, students always express their opinions respectfully towards the people around them.

All the students interviewed at Paradise Valley High School have positive opinions about how PV works as a community to ensure every student feels welcomed and confident every time  they walk through the doors of Paradise Valley High School. Students are encouraged to come express who they are with school clubs and to show others that there is so much more than what the eye can see. School staff members also makes sure that every student on campus is not being left behind or that they feel excluded. Many students agree that coming to school is to learn so they are able to attain a career of their dreams, not to criticize others.

A personal opinion given by a staff member of PV said, “I think that when someone judges or stereotypes someone else is dumb. It shows lack of understanding, lack of compassion when you stereotype based on differences”. Staff members expect their students to have self respect and to give other students the same treatment that they would expect to receive from someone else.

Every student at PV is treated equally by giving the same respect no matter if they are different under the eyes of someone else. At PV no one is left behind because there is no competition on who is more important. This is a race that everyone is a part of, but most importantly, it is the race that all students are winning.

All together as PV Trojans!

All together as PV Trojans!