Wasted Space

With the state of our soccer practice field, what should be done?

John Sanders

John Sanders

John Sanders, Author

Most students have probably not noticed that PVHS has a practice field. This field is North of the main parking lot, in the middle of the softball and baseball fields. It has been some time since this field has been used. What should PV do with this wasted space?

An interview with the boys’ soccer coach, Mr. Bowman, resulted in Mr. Bowman giving his take on the situation. When asked if he would use the practice field, the coach replied saying that if the field was cleaned up, then yes. Mainly by removing the various “gopher holes” rocks and dirt, that he’d consider using it. As for him ever using the field, he said that he’d never had his team play on it and that the last time anyone has ever used it was for girls’ soccer around two years ago. The coach had never felt the desire for his team to play on it because of its deplorable state.

Mr. Bowman also thinks that it can be open to “any outdoor sport” that needs to train here at PVHS. When the subject of school funding came up, the coach felt that it would be worth it for the school to devote funds towards the improvement of the play area.

When questioned about improvements that could be made besides the aforementioned fixes, Mr. Bowman said that things such as, a “bigger net” a “batting cage” for baseball and softball, and a “shed” for placement of supplies would be nice. He also said that if the field were constructed, it would help the current conditions for practicing on the football field, which involve “cramming” the different teams on it.
The interview had concluded with Mr. Bowman providing a quote to finish, “I wish the practice field could be more accessible and usable to more sports teams at PV.” With all this in mind, it comes down to what the students here at PV think, should the field be used at all? If the school was to do something for it, would it benefit all involved? These are questions that can be taken home, and important ones to think on.

SoccerPracticeField

Mainly just taking up space and nothing else, this field hasn’t been used in over a year.

John Sanders

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Wasted Space”

1. William Vanderhoof on August 23rd, 2016 9:44 pm

It wold be cool to have an agriculture club, who could maybe use a small part of the space to grow plants that require lots of sun, like corn, and to make a partially shaded area for plants that require less sun, like small flowers that could be sold in bouquets to make some extra money for the school to spend on sports equipment, or anything else really.

[Reply]

Jaeden Dunbar Reply:

Thanks for the input, and we’ll look into making that a story so keep a look out.

[Reply]

• Wasted Space

Extracurricular

Badminton Causing A Racket

• Wasted Space

Extracurricular

Trojans Get a Victory

• Wasted Space

Extracurricular

JV Trojans v. Jaguars

• Wasted Space

Extracurricular

Making a Splash

• Wasted Space

Extracurricular

Under New Management

• Wasted Space

News

A Fair Exchange?

• Wasted Space

Reviews

Year’s End

• Wasted Space

News

Community Service

• Wasted Space

Campus Life

What I Wish I Would’ve Known

• Wasted Space

A & E

Doctor Strange Review

The student news site of Paradise Valley High School
Wasted Space